A concussion is a traumatic brain injury (TBI). TBIs can result in the person being knocked unconscious – sometimes for moments and sometimes longer. Traumatic brain injuries are often serious injuries that can have life-changing impacts to you and your loved ones. After all, the brain is what controls everything from your movement to your emotions.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), auto collisions are the second most common cause of TBIs in the United States. This could put Minnesota drivers at even more risk of sustaining these sometimes devastating injuries.
You should be aware of the signs of a TBI, so you can take action to get the care you or your loved one needs as soon as possible.
Know the commons signs of a TBI
The signs and symptoms of a TBI will vary depending on the severity of the accident, but the most common symptoms include:
- Loss of consciousness for a short or significant period
- Trouble balancing and reduced coordination
- Slurring and impaired speech
- Severe headaches and dizziness
- Frequent nausea and vomiting
- Trouble thinking or remembering
- Blurred vision, difficulty focusing and light sensitivity
- Feeling tired constantly or trouble sleeping
- Loss of focus and difficulty initiating tasks
Your loved one might not exhibit all these symptoms. However, you should be on the lookout for these signs after a car collision.
What should you do if you notice these signs?
If you notice these signs in your loved one after they were in an auto collision, there are a few steps you should take:
- Take them to get medical attention immediately
- Take written notes of the symptoms
Healing from a TBI often requires a lot of rest and rehabilitation. In some cases, severe TBIs can have lifelong effects. That is why recognizing these signs and seeking medical attention as soon as possible is so critical. Medical treatment can help and documenting the injury can affect the compensation you can recover from such an injury.
If you and your loved one need assistance to get the compensation you deserve after a motor vehicle collision, contact Klampe Law Firm LLC to know and protect your rights and best interests.